Historic Church to Hold Annual Service Sept. 16

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: taxonomy_term in similarterms_taxonomy_node_get_terms() (line 518 of /home/middleton/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
  • Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in similarterms_list() (line 221 of /home/middleton/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
  • Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in similarterms_list() (line 222 of /home/middleton/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
MTT News's picture
The a drawing of the original building that housed First Lutheran Church

All are invited to the annual service of the historic First Lutheran Church, located at the corner of Old Sauk and Pleasant View Roads scheduled for Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. Pastor Doug Locken, Peace Lutheran Church of Waunakee will lead the service.  A memorial service is held each year in memory of the religious faith of the early farm families who immigrated to the area between 1840-50 and made Middleton their home.

The old white church, known when it was built as “the big white church on the hillside” was erected in 1866. It replaced a log chapel built by early German immigrants in 1854 to the north on Pleasant View Road where an old cemetery still sits on the hillside.  The current building was abandoned in 1947 after many of the congregation chose services at the new St. Luke's in Middleton. It sat empty and derelict until the Lutheran synod gave it to the community in the 1970's and was restored through local effort.  It now serves the area as a historic site. 

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, local volunteers care for the church and it's grounds as well as that of the original site down the hill.  Their mission is to protect, preserve and promote these places for the benefit of the community and future generations. The church is available for rental for weddings and other appropriate meetings and gatherings. Gravesites in the historic cemetery are available for purchase.

The founders include some surnames still heard in the area: Carl Albrecht, Joachim Benn*, Carl Boeck*, Peter Britt, Henry Burmeister, John Durkopp, Fritz Elver, John Elver*, John Facklam, John Findorff, Joachim Frenz, Carl Goth, Juergen Goth, Joachim Harloff*, John Ibenthal, John Koch, John Loehrs, John Lübcke*, John F. Lübcke, Fritz Mühlenbruch*, Friederich Niebuhr*, John Niebuhr*, Christian Ort, Carl Pierstorff*, Christian Pierstorff*, Gustav Polkow*, Henry Prien*, John Prien*, John Schewe, Carl Schwenn, Christian Schwenn, John Voss*, William Wesenberg, John Wittenburg

*The fourteen founders of the log church built in 1854  

See more information and history at historicFirstLutheranMiddleton.org

Rate this article: 
No votes yet